The first two days we spent getting broken or inappropriate equipment fixed or adapted. Like a piece had broken off inside the actuator, rendering it inoperable, and the motor axles for the fans were two small to fit the slots. So the talented and capable staff here machined a new part for the actuator and constructed something to fit the axles into place.
On wednesday, we installed and tested the repaired actuator. We have quicktime movie of the first test of opening the clamshell, and it went swimmingly.
We also installed the modified fan blowers and they worked fine as well. We did have to carefully adjust them so that the fan wheels didn't scrape on anything, and the thermostat was backwards (so that the fans went on if the temperature was too low), but these were easy fixes.
We also drilled and tapped the holes on the pier for the mount.
Just in time, for the telescope arrived that afternoon.
We hauled it out to the enclosure.
Then we hitched it up to a harness and hoisted it into the enclosure. We got the telescope on the pier and called it a day.
Thursday, we made sure the RA axis was tilted to the appropriate longitude, then we installed the shelves and the carpet. Friday, put most of the electonics in the enclosure. Here you see the "gold box" camera control unit in its new bracket on the side of the mount. The slots in the bracket were too small, and needed to be drilled and filed out a bit.
We then installed the camera. We don't yet know if it is in the right orientation to get north "up" on the image -- we will have to take some pictures first.
When we uncrated the secondary assembly, we found that two of the spider vanes had been damaged in transit. Here you can see how they have bent. The crate was not marked as fragile, so presumably it was dropped or otherwise subject to abrupt accelerations that could have resulted in this damage. Also, the preload screw had fallen out.
Here we are removing the crate from around the assembly. You can also see an overhead view of the packing technique.
We tried to press the bends out of the affected vanes, but when we put it back in, one vane was no longer flush with the outside wall of the assembly. So we used the long nut to clamp the vane into place. Hopefully, this will not put too much torque on the outside wall of the assembly.
Today we got the mount running, and are currently trying to get the encoder readers aligned properly. We tried to start up the camera, but the recirculator died -- we believe this is due to the circuitry assuming a particular polarity of the power plug, and German wall fixtures are not polarized. We need to buy a replacement transformer and then we can try again.